Weddings Engagements Post-Wedding Lifestyle Personal Photographers Workshops/Conferences Featured Articles
Our Website Erin's Facebook Shane's Facebook Our Lab Twitter Boda Bags ShootQ - Studio Management Grace Ormonde Platinum List
See who's looking

Translations



Welcome! Here's where we post most everything... from weddings and engagement sessions, to our personal vacations and thoughts. This blog is a great way to follow us and keep in touch. Our hope is that you are encouraged and inspired, along with giving you ideas.

402.440.4937 or 308.234.4556 ~ info@melenbackerphotography.com


Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Stolen, Gambled & Held Ransom!

About six months ago, the point & shoot camera Shane gave me for my birthday was stolen from my car along with an ipod and it's am/fm car adapter. Today I got a call from a local camera shop saying they were checking a camera from a pawn shop and when they looked at the images on the card, they noticed the pictures were of us. Thinking it was strange that we would pawn a camera with our images still in it, the camera store called us. Sure enough, it was our stolen camera! We contacted the police, the police contacted the pawn shop and here's the rest of the story:

The guy who pawned the camera claims to have won it in a poker tournament. After getting the guys info, the police track him down only to find he has multiple addresses. All are found to be incorrect. The police can't take my camera from the pawn shop even though there's proof that it's mine because of a law that protects the pawnshop's investment in my stole goods. So, although legally the camera is mine, without an arrest, the pawnshop is entitled to file some kind of a grievance. The result? My camera is being held hostage for $20. (I checked and yes, this is legal for the pawn shop to do). This morning I got a call from the police and it turns out the suspect is in another city being held for attempted murder. Needless to say, they aren't concerned with a stolen camera (rightfully so).

So, what have I learned....well, even though I am having to pay a ransom for my camera and find it crazy that I'm having to pay to get my birthday gift back, I am so thankful that my camera being stolen is all that happened. From talking with the police, this guy has done everything in the book including theft, rape and now attempted murder. The guy was traveling between so many cities no one even knew he was in ours. Knowing the whole story, really puts everything into perspective and makes me thankful for the safety we have.