Weddings Engagements Post-Wedding Lifestyle Personal Photographers Workshops/Conferences Featured Articles
Our Website Erin's Facebook Shane's Facebook Our Lab Twitter Boda Bags ShootQ - Studio Management Grace Ormonde Platinum List
See who's looking

Translations



Welcome! Here's where we post most everything... from weddings and engagement sessions, to our personal vacations and thoughts. This blog is a great way to follow us and keep in touch. Our hope is that you are encouraged and inspired, along with giving you ideas.

402.440.4937 or 308.234.4556 ~ info@melenbackerphotography.com


Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Choice for the Positive


I ran across this post on Deadly Viper Character Assasins' Blog. Now stay with me, I know it's a strange and funky title, but...



Spock and The Power of Words: by Jud Wilhite


"We all have things that we don’t like about ourselves.

I have this Spock-type ear. It’s got a ridge … like it has been cut by craft scissors. Sometime I’ll let you feel it.

When I started dating Lori, I’d turn my head when I talked to her. I didn’t want her to see the Spock ear. Really, it’s not a big deal. You could stand 2 feet from me and you’d never notice it but for my self-perception I think, “I’ve got this whacked ear. It’s weird.”


Yes, we all have those things. But we also have the power to transform the way other people see themselves.

Our words are very powerful. With them we have the ability to encourage others to look beyond their own shortcomings. Or we can use our words as weapons, causing insecurity and hurt.

How do you choose to use your power?"



Shane and I have talked about this subject many times and how we as photographers have an amazing opportunity to help others see the beauty in themselves. Sometimes during a session or event, emotions can run high, people can seem more pushy and it can be just plain hard to be positive. But...staying positive is not only a part of our job, we feel it's a responsibility we have as people. By being a positive reinforcement in the lives of those we work with, we can only hope that our words will extend into the very way they feel about themselves. Next time you're feeling down or frustrated on a shoot, try being positive and encouraging and watch how it changes the attitudes of those around you.







1 comment:

Jim said...

Thanks for linking to Deadly Viper. Make sure you connect with us on our Facebook Fan Page, Twitter, and our Linkedin Group.

-Jim Gray, Dojo Manager/Commenting Ninja